Saturday, November 24, 2007

Christmas Tree Lighting

First of all, let me explain that my sister is one of the luckiest people I know. She is always winning something off the radio. I mean, she listens to one radio station and when she wins something off of that station, she tunes into another. So having said that, WHOM was having a contest to see who's child/children would light the light on the tree in Monument Square. All you had to do was send in an e-mail describing why your offspring should be the one to light the tree up. Well, once again she won. Darn it all. Always winning. Not only does she have one child, she has a total of three. Lucky.



The night after Thanksgiving was the night to light the lights. I went along to take pictures. I wore a turtle neck, sweat shirt, scarf, head band, mittens, LL Bean winter coat, jeans and socks with sneakers. I didn't know what I was thinking wearing sneakers with just plain old socks. I was alright until I had to stand on the pavement for an hour and a half waiting for the kids to "turn the switch".

After watching a nice dance routine from the Portland Ballet performance of the Nutcracker, a women from the Portland Symphony sing, a man from the Portland Library reading "Twas the Night before Christmas," Rick Charette and the Bubble Gum Band sing (for what felt like a two hour concert) and the arrival of Old St Nick himself, then it was time to light the tree. Along with Santa the three of them flipped the candy cane switch and the lights came on.



Nicole is the oldest at 10, then comes Tyler at 9 and last but not least (cuz he's my favorite),Connor 5. They were very excited that they got to do this. It is a once in a lifetime memory and I am glad that I was there (Fav Auntie again) to see it all. By the time I got back to the car my toes and thighs were numb from standing and waiting, all in the name and love for the family.

Family is the best thing in the world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures once again. All the family takes great pictures. Sorry about the toes, hope they thaw out before Monday.

Army_Wifey08 said...

God I'm sad I missed this...I miss everyone so much and it's driving me nuts not being able to jump into the car and go visit. I cannot wait to see everyone again for I miss you all soo terribly.

ps. i need addresses for our christmas cards....lol