Saturday, October 27, 2007

Wedding Plans begin.....

The truth is that the wedding plans have been ongoing since before we actually became engaged. I thought I would be the bestest, darnest organizest (I know not a real word) bride to be that there ever was. I am off to a good start. Maybe.

Eric is due home next Wednesday. Halloween. Hope no one mistakes the big orange truck as an oversize pumpkin and try to smash it....that would not be good. Be kinda hard to pick up never mind smash. Anyway.....ADD moment. And during that time we will be visiting a few places.

Last time Eric was home, we looked at Mariner's Church Banquet Center. Very nice place. Had a separate entrance for the bridal party. Not too big, not too small. Just right. That was until I talked to be banquet manager. He seemed to be a little distracted. Ok, he had a function that night but when we were there and just about everything was done. And he still was not focusing on us. Told him date of wedding 11/1/2008, he stated that he had it reserved for a client who always hold a huge Halloween party. But at the same time he also had the Friday night reserved for the same client and since Halloween was actually on that Friday night, he didn't think it would be a problem. He just needed to check with this client to find out which date he wanted and I was to give him a call toward the end of the next week.

Both Eric and I thought that it would be the prefect location for the reception. So, I waited until that Thursday and called the manager. Well, he said that he called the client. The client told him that he needed to talk with the band to find out which date they would be available next year. Then the manager told me that he would have an answer by the middle of the following week. So, once again I waited. I call the manager on Wednesday. He said that he hadn't heard from his client, that he would give him a call right now and give me a call back. That was 10 days ago and still haven't heard from him. Guess what? Not waiting any longer. Looking some where else, since the wedding is just 369 days away and the recommendation for booking a reception site is at least one year in advance. So freaking out a little bit. Really wanted Mariner's Church but not that bad, especially when I was blown off by the manager.

Now what to do? Didn't really want to do Keeley's but I called and got some information. Boy, was I surprised. For the same amount of money for a sit down dinner at the Mariner's, we get to have a great buffet and I think that is the way we are going. Just have to call and make appointment for Saturday. In between the flowers and the cake. Keeping fingers crossed.

Also on Saturday next week, Eric and I are going to look at the flowers that I had picked out this last summer. He is SO excited to be doing this. He can't wait. (If I was talking to you right now sarcasm would be screaming all over those last two sentences.) We are going to Sawyer and Co. on Congress St in Portland. Owner is Dan and he is the best. Sat with me for an hour and a half explaining things and actually listening to me. Great guy. Love him. He is taking the time to come in on his day off to sit with us for a few minutes to go over the flowers. Now THAT is a manager.

Then we are off to Cakes Extraordinaire. They are on Brighton Ave in Portland. (Free delivery to any location in Portland. Got to love that.) To pick up our sample cakes which I ordered today. I ordered 4 cakes to sample. #1 white strawberry with strawberry cream and strawberry preserve filling (Eric's). #2 chocolate with raspberry cream and raspberry preserve filling (mine). #3 Irish Cream Liquor with chocolate walnut filling (both). #4 Spice cake with apple filling (just because we could). Now Eric can't wait for this appointment. Quote, "Mmmmm free cake." Unquote. The way to my man's heart is through his stomach. Love him bunches.

Then we are off the check out the Limousine Service that I found on the internet. It's called Atlantic Limousine and Yacht Charter Services. They are located in Gorham/Westbrook area. Got a great deal from them. They offered the use of a 300 C Chrysler limo along with a 2007 Mercedes Benz for the price of the limo alone. My arm really hurts from patting myself on the back for this one. I rock. When we go there, putting deposit done and signing contract. That is what a good deal this is. I am brilliant.

The one thing that drew me to this company was the fact that they offer a program called Hugs for Rides. This is when a limo picks up someone who has cancer from the hospital and gives them a ride home. The cost: One hug. Now that is a company I want to support and so does Eric.

So far that is all right now. The only thing that we have to do is find someone available to help with the cake testing. Any volunteers?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You have been a busy girl. My goodness the things you have managed to do while working and taking time out to be ill. Your plans sound very nice. Will be eager to know how everything comes together while Eric is home.
Mary

Sheepish Annie said...

Ha!!!! Please. I beg of you. Take pictures of Eric looking at flowers. Get his expression. This will make the best Christmas card ever! Or at least a nice 8x10 for me. That's all I want for Christmas...Eric picking out flowers. See if you can get one of him sneezing too, please. Tee-hee!!!

Army_Wifey08 said...

all I can say is please no strawberry....unless you want me to die...lol