Thursday, October 18, 2007

Today is Thursday. I think I made it. I might live. Yeah.

I was having a hard time this week. It was because of my bi-yearly bout with the dreaded bronchitis.

Let us begin with last Friday. I had been having a bit of a sore throat the last few days, thinking nothing of it, I thought that it was just a little bug that I caught at work. Saturday I woke up feeling a like I ate a pair of my future sister-in-law's wool socks. Not good. So trying not to over do things, I pulled out my trusty LL Bean fleece bathrobe and snuggled in for the day. Now since I am all warm and toasty, it seemed like a good time to rest. I have been up for at least an hour and a half, I was thinking am I really tired? Yes, yes I was. So off to the couch. Let me say right from the beginning we have a leather couch. Which is very comfortable until you try to lay down on it in a fleece bathrobe. After slipping and slidding all over the couch, I finally can to a rest with my butt cheeks firmly wedged between two cushions. There, not moving now. All ready for my mid-morning nap until the dog decided that he wanted to play. Ok, so he is not a big huge St. Bernard or a black lab, but when you are not expecting a 7 pound Yorkie to jump on you, the wind does get knocked out of you for a bit. That is when I said, "NO, Sargeant not time to play." He looks at me with his ears down, big round brown eyes and a very sad face. Kinda like Puss-n-Boots in Shrek 2. I didn't know the dog saw that movie. So, I got up and play with the dog. GO ME. After about 5 hours of playing I am pooped. (Well in my altered state it seemed like 5 hours but I think it was actually 15 minutes.) That is when I started to cough. It was a tiny cough here and there so I wasn't too concerned until I get ready of bed that night.

Laying down on my side was not an option. There was no way on god's green earth that this woman was getting a good night sleep. So I realized that a mountain of pillows was going to be the only way that I was going to get any kind of sleep. Grabbing the future Mr.'s pillow (good thing he is on the road) which is much thicker than mine, I put his on the bottom as the base. Placing mine at a slight angle, I put my snuggle pillow on top of mine. Now this is a very careful procedure. Like brain surgery. One false move and it's all over. I slowly move toward the tower of leaning pillows and then plop myself right in the middle. Eric had gotten me a Schnieder National stuff truck with trailer. It is very soft and fits right under the back of my neck perfect. What a genuis! Now I can get some sleep......until 1am when I started to cough up what felt like a lung. But I knew that it wasn't and tried to get some more sleep.

After waking up at 5:30am on a Sunday no less, I knew it was time to make a trip to the local Witch Doctor. But not until I tried to get more sleep. I fell asleep for 2 more hours.

My Witch Doctor is closed on Sunday's (how rude) so I needed to fine a Sunday Witch Doctor. So I got dressed, put my blue Red Sox hat on (because I was wearing blue after all and my pink or green Red Sox hat would just clash) and headed to the Witch Doctor hospital's Quick Care. Hours of operation 9:00 am to 8:00 pm. But I was lucky because by the time I got dressed and flew my broom over it was 8:40. Good...will go inside and wait the 15 minutes until they open. Walk through the door one other person in line.....things are looking up. Second in line is a good thing at a walk-in clinic. Got through registration with the ease of a ballet dancer. Got called into the exam room, pulse was taken, normal. Breathing a little labored but not too bad. Blood pressure, up. Nurse looks at me and says "did you take any over the counter cold medicine last night?" As a matter of fact yes I did. Remembering the few percious hours of sleep that I had the night before. That was why my blood pressure was high. Not too high to have a stroke but high enough to lay off the juice for a few nights.

The Witch Doctor makes an appearance. Asked me my symptoms and then begins to say "I am reluctant to give someone any antibiotics who has been coughing less than 24 hours." "The CDC states that most bronchitis' are viral and antibiotics are not needed." Then I said " I want antibiotic's, I have bacterial bronchitis. I have been dealing with bronchitis for the last 17 years, I know when I need antibiotic's." If my Witch Doctor's office was open today you would have not seen me here and he would give my my pills. YOU NEED TO GIVE ME MY PILLS NOW!

Not only did I get my pills and some great do not cough pills, I got a pretty picture of my lungs. Being aware of your own body and being a little.....shall I say FIRM will get you either arrested or antibiotic's.

After being on the medication for the past 5 days I am slightly coughing with a little lung coming up and less color. When we get to no color that is when we know I am cured. Looking forward to that day soon.

1 comment:

Sheepish Annie said...

Yikes!!! I'm so glad you are feeling better...I've always had such a hard time convincing those Quick Care Docs that I needs meds and need 'em fast. Drives me insane!!!

Thankfully, I've been able to see my own doctor pretty quickly since the pneumonia disaster of aught 6. Suddenly, I'm like a rock star when I get a cough. I'm a fan of Tussionex for the coughing. And the overall effect of the codeine is nice, too! :)

Keep getting better!